Pages

14 March 2012

Enough Vegetables to Make a Salad



For the first time this year, we have a couple consecutive days with temperatures over 70 degrees. I'm not sure if Spring has sprung, but I definitely have the fever. With that, it's time to start planning this year's crop.

We first tried our hand at gardening 2 years ago and had some success (with things like tomatoes and beans) and not so much with others (like pumpkins and corn). Well, it's time to turn that around; not only am I going to grow enough vegetables to make my own salad, but I'm going to apply my year of master planning projects at Drexel and put it to good use. Well, on a small scale at least.

Since we bought the house, we fixed up the shed,  put in a fence, and built our first small garden. At approximately 8'-0" x 7'-6", it's enough for a couple plants, but not the whole salad. Hopefully, with the new elements below, we'll have enough room to grow everything we need.

Until next time, Capt. Greenthumb checking out.

[caption id="attachment_465" align="aligncenter" width="500" caption="This is the back corner of our property on the day we bought the house."][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_464" align="aligncenter" width="500" caption="Same back corner prior to beginning the first garden."][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_463" align="aligncenter" width="500" caption="First garden we put in about 2 years ago. Produced some good crops, but not big enough for this years expectations!"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_468" align="aligncenter" width="500" caption="Plan view of the three planter beds planned for this spring. Includes dedicated area for tomatoes and a trellis for the cucumbers."][/caption]



[caption id="attachment_466" align="aligncenter" width="500" caption="Anyone interested in where I get these great looking scale figures!?!?!"][/caption]

1 comment:

  1. [...] few weeks ago, I wrote a post on my plan of attack for this years garden (POST).Well the seeds have sprouted, the gardens are built and I am well on my way to having enough [...]

    ReplyDelete